Carpet Maintenance – Do’s (and Don’ts)
The world’s oldest hand-knotted rug is the Pazyryk Rug, which is easily thousands of years old. The ability to last and endure for a long time is perhaps one of the features that make carpets and rugs a popular choice amongst people. Modern Day carpets and rugs are even more versatile and cost-effective, unlike the olden days when only royalty could afford to hang an animal skin rug as a trophy in their halls.
However, your carpet will only last as long as it is cared for properly. Here are some tips you might find helpful –
- The most obvious, ‘no-brainer’ suggestion in the list is regular vacuuming. However, this needs to be done appropriately by setting the cleaner at the appropriate height and appropriate power. If you set it too low, you risk damaging the carpet and if you set it too high, you won’t remove any dirt.
- Take care of the stains right away! Avoid digging and scooping, rubbing and scrubbing as it can push the stain further down the carpet. Work your way from the outer edge, blotting with a dry cloth, towards the center. If a stain is too persistent, try using club soda or a solution of equal parts water and vinegar before trying any harsh cleaning products.
- Dents, impressions, or other marks can usually be taken care of easily with the use of a cloth that has been soaked in cold water. Squeeze out the excess water and cover the marked area of the carpet with this cloth. Now use a flat iron on the cloth a few times in the direction of the pile. You may have to repeat the process twice or thrice.
- Further if possible, move away from heavy furniture or furniture with pointed legs to avoid denting or putting impressions on the carpet.
- Some spots in the house experience more traffic compared to other areas which will cause uneven wear. Also, exposure to sunlight can cause the carpet to fade unevenly. Rotating the carpet regularly to even out the wear and tear can give it a more uniform look.
- Consider using a This will minimize the wear and tear and ensure that the carpet lasts a long time. It will further security and comfort since it’ll hold the carpet firmly in place.
- However hard you try, you probably can’t do a more thorough job than pro cleaners. It is usually a good idea to get it professionally clean at least twice a year, which can add years to the lifespan of your rug. Visit Cheap Carpet Cleaning Brisbane for more information.
Regularly cleaning and vacuuming the house and thus maintaining the overall cleanliness of the house will further help in keeping the carpet clean. Using doormats, taking off your muddy and often unhygienic shoes is also a good idea.