Importance of Gynecological Care
gynecology in Lake Mary is the branch of medicine that deals with functioning and diseases related to the reproductive system.
A gynecologist provides gynecological care, while a general practitioner deals with the overall health of the patient. Your general physician can help you with headaches, cardiovascular diseases, minor flu, or a general body check-up. However, your gynecologist will help you treat abnormalities and provide regular check-ups related to the reproductive system. A gynecologist is a specialist in treating issues with the reproductive system.
A gynecologist will help you treat menstrual disorders, infertility, sexual problems, pregnancy, and more.
Table of Contents
The primary role of a gynecologist:
A gynecologist practices disease prevention. This means your doctor will ask you to take up several tests and screening every 4-6 months to ensure that you are safe and there are no chances of any potential risk factors.
A few common tests and screenings include:
- Screening for breast cancer. (13% of women worldwide face breast cancer).
- Pap smears for testing of cervical or vaginal cancers.
- Osteoporosis, due to hormonal changes, the bones become fragile. This usually happens after menopause.
- Gynecologists also run tests for sexually transmitted diseases.
These tests and screening help gynecologists eliminate any possible risk factors. Also, if a woman has cancer, such regular assessments can help catch these issues and treat them before time runs out.
When to see a gynecologist?
Generally, when they have their first menstrual cycle, girls are advised to visit a gynecologist, where the specialist explains the basics of the reproductive system. However, from the age of 21, it is advised to see a gynecologist regularly. However, women of all ages can benefit from a regular visit to a gynecologist.
On your regular visits, your gynecologist will perform an annual exam consisting of tests and screening mentioned above.
How does a gynecologist benefit?
Paying regular visits to your gynecologist offers several benefits, a few of which are mentioned below:
- Gynecologists teach their patients to diagnose signs of breast cancer and perform a monthly self-breast exam.
- Gynecologists advise their patients to go for safe birth control methods.
- Also, regular screening and tests help diagnose any condition and treat it in time.
- Gynecologists also inform their patients about sexually transmitted diseases, the importance of sufficient calcium intake, and how essential it is to have a balanced diet.
You may contact your gynecologist for further assistance and guidance. Do not wait until you see something is wrong. Regular visits to your gynecologist cause no harm and are somewhat beneficial.